When you first receive your client, we recommend the following steps:
- Ensure that your client’s Informed Consent and Emergency Contact information are completed.
- Clients should be prompted to fill this information out prior to being matched with a provider to start treatment, but it is best practice to verify completion of these items prior to getting started with them. For more information on locating & requesting Informed Consent and Emergency Contact information, please see:
- Message your client within the first few hours of being matched.
Our research also shows that clients build a better relationship with their provider and stay longer when the first message is:
- Prompt, ideally sent within the first 3 business hours of being matched
- Expresses warmth and empathy
- Meets the client where they are
We see that introductions often vary depending on the client’s level of engagement. We have compiled a few different examples of great introductions created by our Clinical Consultation Team. Feel free to check them out!
Hi [Client Name], welcome to Talkspace! I am [Therapist Name]. Thank you for sharing what brought you here with me. It sounds like things have been really difficult for you in your relationship with your boyfriend lately. Relationships can sometimes be challenging, but even more so, from what it sounds like, you are feeling that you are putting more effort into the relationship than him, and it is really impacting your life right now. Did I get that right, [Client Name]? I'm wondering more about your relationship, and when you first noticed things starting to change. If you’re comfortable, can you tell me more about this?
Hi [Client Name], It’s so nice to meet you here, welcome to Talkspace. I’m [Therapist Name]. Thanks for telling me a bit about what brings you here to therapy. It sounds like you’ve had a lot on your mind recently. I am glad that you’ve made the decision to reach out for support. You mentioned you're feeling “stuck” with that big decision at work. Can you tell me more about this?
Hi [Client Name], It’s so nice to meet you here, I’m [Therapist Name]. Welcome to Talkspace. It’s really courageous to sign up for therapy, I’m so happy you did. To get started can you share what brings you into therapy today. I will also share with you more about me so that we can get to know each other a bit better. I’ve been working as a mental health professional for about 10 years, and I specialize in working with depression and eating disorders. My approach is collaborative, you are the expert in your life and I am here to help you reach your goals.
If you would like additional guidance on how to get started with new clients:
Check out our Clinical Support & Community Programs page for daily drop-in session times, or to schedule a 1-on-1 with a member of the Clinical Consultation Team.
Schedule time to talk to your Team Lead about your questions & ideas.
Schedule a 1-on-1 with a member of the Clinical Consultation Team for assistance.